Starred Links Review
From time to time it is a good idea to look at the starred items in my feed reader. It isn’t quite a literature review when this is done. It isn’t quite an annotated bibliography. It is just a look at what caught my eye across so many RSS feeds.
In no particular order:
- In a post entitled “Some Tips on Setting Up a Mastodon Instance Using Docker and Apache”, Dr. Steve Sekula writes down some notes on setting up Mastodon. Dr. Sekula is a brave self-hoster with lots of history in the fediverse dating back to
- Apparently I am not the only one unamused by changes to the TV app as MacRumors has a post entitled “Apple TV Users Complain About tvOS 16.2 ‘Watch Now’ Redesign”. I’m not holding my breath for a revert on the change.
- AV Club teases with the headline “Star Trek: Picard team discusses why the show is ending with season 3” and doesn’t really deliver much of anything in its post.
- Apparently the scripture package on CTAN was updated which will prove useful if I have to put devotional materials again in the future.
- NBC is investing in NBC News Now apparently as Variety reports that “Gadi Schwartz To Anchor Streaming 8PM Hour for ‘NBC News Now’”
- TechRadar tells us that “Microsoft now wants to add ChatGPT to Word, email” which makes LibreOffice, NextCloud, and Collabora Online look so much better.
- Arnie Coro passed away
- JSTOR Daily brings us “On Your Mark, Get Set… Print!” which is just incomprehensible to think about in 2023.
- Cleveland Scene brings us word that Governor Mike DeWine signed the election restrictions bill that will make life interesting this year.
- Are there shortwave radio broadcast airchecks from the invasion in Brasilia of the legislature there? Yes.
- We see in Variety that the disturbing matter of shows being terminated even after orders are made continues with AMC axing a show even though it finished production. This is also reported by AV Club.
- The Disruptive Library Technology Jester brings us discussion in “Automatically Generating Podcast Transcripts”
- Lizbeth Myles brings up the matter of “The Ages of the Actors Who’ve Played Doctor Who”.
- Apparently Edward Norton is a distant relative to former Heidi Heitkamp among many, many other people. BBC News talked about this too.
- Alan Pope talks about “Year of The Broken Desktop” in his blog.
- Apparently the launch from Cornwall of a satellite on Monday was a failure per France24. The Russia-Ukraine conflict is damaging our access to space since the plant for making rocket motors was damaged as well as much of the Antonov company’s facilities and fleet. The destruction of the Antonov An-225 Mriya in the Battle of Anotonov Airport possibly heavily impacts the US space program since nobody else on the planet has a heavy lifter with that much capacity and NASA previously used it to ferry spacecraft bits to Plum Brook Station for testing outside Sandusky.
There are many other things stashed among the starred stories but these were highlights worth sharing.